Reporting my stolen identity

Report your passport lost or stolen

It is vital you report your passport either lost or stolen immediately, this helps the law enforcement agencies to prevent people from entering the UK illegally, and to protect yourself from becoming a victim of identity crime.

You can report your passport stolen or lost online at:

Cancel a lost or stolen passport - GOV.UK (

Once you have reported your passport lost or stolen, the HM passport office will cancel it and will inform the National Crime Agency within 24 hours to record it on the Interpol’s stolen and lost travel document database.

This prevents any illegal activity as law enforcement agencies, including immigration and broader control officers can be one step ahead of criminals who attempt to get a UK passport illegally. Law enforcement can then act against those who obtain a passport by fraudulent means.

Reporting your driving licence lost or stolen

You must contact DVLA if your driving licence has been lost or stolen at:

Replace a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed driving licence - GOV.UK (

If you think your driving licence has been stolen, you must report it to the police immediately.

Reporting your birth certificate or marriage certificate lost or stolen

You must report the loss or theft of these documents immediately to the police and the office it was originally issued at. You may want to also contact the General register office to obtain copies of your certification and ask them to make a note of the fact the original documentation has been stolen. 

Visit: Order a copy of a birth, death or marriage certificate - GOV.UK (

Report your credit or debit cards lost or stolen

You must get in contact with your bank immediately to cancel your cards. Please visit your bank’s website for further information. 

For further information on how to report stolen or lost documents please visit:

Report lost or found property | The Met

What about fake job offers?

Unfortunately, there are a lot of fake job offers targeting work seekers, and also fake or disreputable recruitment agencies. If you are unsure about your job offer you can get free help and advice from SAFERjobs at If you believe you have become a victim of a fake job scam or have been exploited by a recruitment agency you should also report this to SAFERjobs.

Report an issue
If you believe you've been the victim of an identity fraud, please report it using our online fraud reporter tool below.
Start now